If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (423) 326-1406

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The Top 4 Causes of House Fires and How To Prevent Them

2/25/2022 (Permalink)

Kitchen area, sink washer, window frame damaged by fire, also a microwave damaged by fire. Kitchen fire damage in East Brainerd, TN.

House Fires: The Top 4 Causes and How to Avoid Them

There are over 350,000 residential fires reported annually in the United States. Although the rate of occurrence has fallen by over 50 percent in the last four decades, property losses still top $6 billion each year. A home fire in East Brainerd, TN, can be one of the most devastating events a person encounters in his or her lifetime. Awareness of its four leading causes can be an important step toward reducing instances of this disaster.

1. Cooking Gear

Nearly half of all house fires originate in the kitchen. Overheating pots and pans and splattering grease can quickly spark a fire. Grease is highly flammable and notoriously difficult to extinguish once it ignites. Combustible items such as dish towels and paper products should be stored away from sources of heat. It is important to never leave the stove unattended while in use.

2. Heating Equipment

Space heaters are a convenient source of extra warmth in a room but need to be operated safely to prevent a home fire. Keep portable heaters away from flammable property such as furniture, window coverings and clothing. Consider having your furnace inspected annually, as well as yearly chimney cleaning if you utilize a fireplace.

3. Smoking Indoors

Smoking inside the home, particularly in bed, can be a risky behavior. Of the leading fire causes, this one is completely preventable. Caution should be exercised with indoor smoking. Sleepy smokers should always try to extinguish smoking materials before they nod off. The best ashtrays are deep and oversized and should be placed far away from anything that will burn.

4. Electrical Systems and Equipment

From overloaded outlets to faulty wiring, there are many ways an electrical fire can start. Professional inspection of your home’s wiring, particularly in older residences, is an important part of keeping your living spaces safe. Avoid excessive use of extension cords and adaptors, and refrain from overburdening circuits.

With heightened awareness and precautionary measures, a home fire does not have to be in your future. If disaster does strike, enlisting the help of professional fire cleaning services can help you restore your home to its original state as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Other News

View Recent Posts